Monday, September 22, 2008

Relay for Life

I've been attending the Relay for Life since 2002. When I saw this young girl my thoughts were '' she's to young to have cancer'' Cancer sucks!
David is a friend of mine and I call him the mayor of Winchester, Va which is where he lives. David knows no strangers. He's one of the most out going people that I know. The young lady next to him is a three time cancer survivor.
Ahh Hope. It's all about HOPE!!
Everyone comes to the relay!
The Relay for Life is a very emotional time for me. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2002. I couldn't believe what the doctor had said. Did he just say the C word! I went to Georgia for treatment which lasted about 8 weeks. While I was there I walked into the Ritz camera store and bought my first digital camera a Nikon Coolpix 885. Man I couldn't believe the pictures! So cancer and the camera were born. It's been my relief, it's my candy since I've given up sugar. Tumors love sugar. Five years passed and in April of 2007 I found out that it's come back as stage 4 cancer. I case you don't know there is no stage 5. This past summer has been painful. Pain is a real drag because it kind of robs you of the fun. So if I don't post or send a comment your way just know that I'm dealing with some discomfort. But don't worry about me because I've got great support and I've always thought of the glass being half full.

My message to you all is get regular checkups. Early detection is the best. I waited five years after people told me to get my prostate checked out even though I wasn't having any problems. If you know of anyone struggling with prostate cancer you may put them in touch with me. Party on!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob,

I'm very, very sad to hear this...
I don't know you well but still figure if anyone can beat the odds, it's you. Keep that positive attitude and enjoy each moment. I'll be rooting for you...

Anonymous said...

Bob,

It's hard to know what to say. I feel like I know you from your posts and I want to say that I'm also rooting for you. As Julie said your positive attitude is one that I am so happy to hear. I don't know I could be that strong and brave.... I'm also happy you have a great support system.

It's great that you are there to support the Relay for Life every year...it's a wonderful cause as are any events to support fighting cancer...I've lost too many people to it...

Keep that wonderful positive outlook. I'm glad we're blog friends!

Banjo Bob said...

Thank you and I too am happy to have you all as blog friends. A big thanks to Mike P. for steering me into blog world. It's to bad all of us can't get together for a big shoot out!
My big message is to be sure you all get regular check ups. If you can catch it early your way ahead. Also eating lots of fruit and vegges is a plus. Stay away from the refined stuff. Now do I sound like your mother?

Anonymous said...

My husband's doctor tests him annually because his father had prostate cancer. Appallingly, neither the nationalized health system nor our private insurance covers the cost of the PSA test. Canadians are used to all health care being free so I'm sure many men don't get tested as a result of the cost (even though it is a cheap test...).

Banjo Bob said...

Glad to hear back from you on this. Because your husbands father had prostate cancer it puts him in a higher risk bracket. But dont worry because caught early it's one of the most curable cancers there is. Two tests need to be performed. The PSA and a DRE. Sometimes if you only do one of them the test may come back normal but if you do both there's a much greater chance in detection. Prostate cancer has been described as an epidemic in some medical literature and what they're recommending is that the testing start at age 40. But since your husbands father had it I would start right now. Thanks,Bob

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Bob. I'll make note of the DRE test and have him ask our doctor about it. I wonder if it is on the protocol in Canada? I've never heard of it. Who knows, Bob, you may be a lifesaver providing information like that...

Anonymous said...

Bob, now I understand. I do think my husband gets the DRE also, but I shall check...