Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pigtown Fling

For the past 28 years Paul has been hosting the ''Pigtown Fling''. Most of the people here I've been playing with for over 20years. The music we play is often refered to as ''Old Time Music'' or mountain music. You got it fiddles,banjos, hammered dulcimers, mandolins etc. As you can see my band is second, we went on as the Bob Jordan Experience!
Pete is not only a banjo player but also a banjo maker. He out did himself and made 5 banjos for the Fling. I spent most of the morning playing them. Pete made a neck for me that he put on an old head, a Vega style K. It's the sweetest banjo I've ever owned and it's the main one that I play.
Jamie is a fiddle player but also his newest instrument is the banjo-uke. He gettin it on here thumping out the chords.
Cody and Courtney are two amazing fiddle players and violinist. Cody is Pete's daughter. Whats so cool is seeing most of the kids now playing
'' The Bob Jordan Experience'' gettin in on. That's me sitting down taking it easy. The 3 older guys I've played with in various bands. In the back are their kids playing. The Fling is such a great time it's both a music and eating party. Paul's parents and friends BBQ pork for 300 people and everyone else brings a covered dish. Now I've gotten myself hungry!

4 comments:

Julie M said...

That is a great story telling set of images. Wish I could hear the music too...

Jennifer Rinaldi said...

I agree with Julie...I wish there was audioto go with the story telling. I enojoyed the series...looks like such a great time. It certainly is great to see the kids following in their parents footsteps when it comes to music!

ostman said...

Great post.

Gotta love someone who makes instruments; many skills wrapped up into one.

Michael Palmer said...

ditto the audio - great post bob!! wish I could have been there!!